I wrote up a piece on how to ask Freenode to temporarily raise/remove the
connection limit from the conference's IP block for the duration of the
conference. That has made a huge difference the past two years:

http://wiki.code4lib.org/index.php/How_To_Plan_A_Code4LibCon#Freenode_IRC_connection

I'm happy to be the point of contact with Freenode again, or let someone
else do the honors. If that means signing up for a committee, well, then
fine. :)