On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 12/6/2011 1:42 PM, Godmar Back wrote:
>
>> Current trends certainly go in the opposite direction, look at jQuery
>> Mobile.
>>

> Hmm, JQuery mobile still operates on valid and functional HTML delivered
> by the server. In fact, one of the designs of JQuery mobile is indeed to
> degrade to a non-JS version in "feature phones" (you know, eg, flip phones
> with a web browser but probably no javascript).  The non-JS version it
> degrades to is the same HTML that was delivered to the browser in either
> way, just not enhanced by JQuery Mobile.

My argument was that current platforms, such as jQuery mobile, heavily rely
on JavaScript on the very platforms on which Crockford statement points out
it would be wise to save energy. Look at the jQuery Mobile documentation,
A-grade platforms:
http://jquerymobile.com/demos/1.0/docs/about/platforms.html

If I were writing AJAX requests for an application targetted mainly at
> JQuery Mobile... I'd be likely to still have the server delivery HTML to
> the AJAX request, then have js insert it into the page and trigger JQuery
> Mobile enhancements on it.

I wouldn't. Return JSON and interpret or template the result.

 - Godmar