I'm with jrock on this one.   But maybe I'm a luddite that didn't get the memo either (but I am credited for being one of the instrumental folks in the Ajax world, heh - in one or more of the Ajax books out there, us old timers called it "remote scripting").

What I hate hate hate about seeing JSON being returned from a server for the browser to generate the view is stuff like:

   string = "<div>" + some_data_from_JSON + "</div>";

That embodies everything that is wrong about Ajax + JSON.

As Jonathan said, the server is already generating dynamic HTML... why have it return JSON and move processing/templating to the client for some things but not other things?  Rhetorical question... of course "it depends" on the application.  If everything is entirely client-side generated, then sure.  But for "traditional" webapps, JSON to the client to simply piece it together as HTML is hideous.

I spoke to this a bit at my recent ApacheCon talk, slides are here: <http://www.slideshare.net/erikhatcher/solr-flair-10173707> slides 4 and 8 particularly on this topic.

So in short, opinions differ on the "right" way to do Ajax obviously.  It depends, no question, on the bigger picture and architectural pieces in play, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with having HTML being returned from the server for partial pieces of the page.  An in many cases it's the cleanest way to do it anyway.

	Erik