Quoting Owen Stephens <[log in to unmask]>:

> I agree this is a risk, and I suspect there is a further risk around
> simply the feeling of 'ownership' by the community - perhaps it is
> easier to feel ownership over an entire ontoloy than an 'application
> profile' of somekind.
> It maybe that mapping is the solution to this, but if this is really
> going to work I suspect it needs to be done from the very start -
> otherwise it is just another crosswalk, and we'll get varying views
> on how much one thing maps to another (but perhaps that's OK - I'm
> not looking for perfection)

I agree with Owen here. One of the advantages of using a mixed
vocabulary is that it forces you to think about your own data in
relation to that of others, and thus makes it less likely that you
will end up in a silo. Just creating your data in RDF is not enough to
making linking happen. Look at where LCSH sits on the LD cloud[1] and
you see that there are very few links to it. That's not because it
isn't in proper RDF, it's because quite frankly no one outside of
libraries has much use for library subject headings in their current
state.

I think that "we" (whoever "we" is in this case) should be working
hard to create links from RDA elements (which are already defined in
RDF)[2] to other vocabularies, like FOAF, DC, BIBO, etc. If it should
turn out that links of that nature cannot be made, for example because
the content of the data would be significantly different ("Tolkien, J.
R. R., John Ronald Reuel, 1892-1973" v. "J. R. R. Tolkien") then we
need to find a way to MAKE our data play well with that of others. The
problem that we have, IMNSHO, is not so much our data FORMAT but our
DATA itself. If we don't consider linking outside of the library
world, we will just create another silo for ourselves; an RDF silo,
but still a silo.

(As an aside, there is some concern that the use of FRBR will make
linking from library bibliographic data to non-library bibliographic
data difficult, if not impossible. Having had some contact with
members of the FRBR review group, they seem impervious to that concern.)

kc
[1] http://linkeddata.org
[2] http://rdvocab.info

--