I replaced XP with Ubuntu four years ago and never looked back.  I have
now run it on pretty run-of-the-mill laptops from Toshiba, Dell, and HP
Ubuntu is neither perfect nor bulletproof, but I [almost] never feel it's
actively working against me, or being so user-obsequious that I can't
actually get to the work I want to do.

Thomas Dowling