I've run Ubuntu on Dell, Sony, and (presently) Alienware laptops, all
without a problem. Ubuntu tries extra-hard to make sure that this is the
case with wireless, Bluetooth, webcams, etc. so as far as distros go
that might be your best option, but since it's all I've ever run my
perspective lacks scope.

I'd say back into it--spec a laptop you'd like, and then have a poke
around the web and see if anyone is having problems, remembering that no
news is probably good news in this case.
-Jon