On 12/14/2011 08:14, Karen Coyle wrote:
> I'm helping some folks find a new platform for their web site, and
> someone has suggested codeIgniter as being simpler than Drupal or
> Wordpress. Anyone here have anything to say about it, good or bad? The
> site is small and light weight but it does have a database that needs to
> be managed.

I built an app several years ago [1] in Kohana 2.3, which was a fork of
CodeIgniter. Since then CI has become more of what made me opt for
Kohana instead of CI to begin with: they dropped legacy support for PHP4
(which they had been ideologically hanging onto) and became more OO.

I liked it. It was a lean full framework, featured without being a
massive superpower like symfony. (FTR most of my work is in symfony.)
It's easy to grok and extend core, and includes utility classes to help,
for example, construct forms. syfmony2 and CI are both very flexible,
but CI is much simpler, so miles easier to jump into.

That said, I don't think any framework (as one usually understands the
term) will work well for a small library to build a "regular" content
website - hosted WordPress sounds typical of a good match for these folks.

[1] https://github.com/yitznewton/emeraldview

--
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Manager

Access Problems? Contact [log in to unmask]