I don't know how it compares to Time Machine but as far as Linux backup
software goes I really like Bacula.  You can backup to disk, tape, or tape
libraries.

Thomas

On Friday 16 December 2011 13:06:02 you wrote:
> Apologies to anyone who is not interested in this thread, but I'm curious
>  to know what backup software comparable to OS X Time Machine Linux users
>  have on their lap/desktops. Time Machine is one of those parts of OS X
>  that would make it hard for me to emigrate from the garden.
>
> Mark

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst            P O Box 32026
University Library                                Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/