On 12/19/2011 09:47 AM, Elfstrand, Stephen F wrote:
> I had planned to come to code4lib and knew it filled up fast. I joined the mailing list so I could find out about the registration as soon as it happened. It came out in mid-morning and I happened to be in a meeting until 12 or so and by the time I tried to register it was sold out. This is annoying. Why not find a venue that is big enough to meet the obvious demand? There are surely plenty of larger venues in a city such as Seattle.

A meeting with about 200 attendees is qualitatively different from a
meeting with 600, and I wouldn't want C4L to change that way.  Perhaps a
better solution would be to change the registration process from a first
come-first serve basis to a lottery.  Everyone who registers over a
initial sign-up period gets an equal chance at one of the spots.  That way
you aren't screwed if you have a meeting during the 15 minutes
registration is really open.

--
Thomas Dowling