Thanks, Matt. The RDF here uses BIBO and DC, and is therefore
definitely lossy. I'm not saying that's a bad thing -- loss from MARC
may well be the only way to save library metadata. What I would be
interested in learning is how one decides WHAT to lose. I"m also
curious to know if any folks have started out with a minimum set of
elements from MARC and then later pulled in other dat elements that
were needed.

This brings up another point that I haven't fully grokked yet: the use
of MARC kept library data "consistent" across the many thousands of
libraries that had MARC-based systems. What happens if we move to RDF
without a standard? Can we rely on linking to provide interoperability
without that rigid consistency of data models?

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net