I definitely don't think one pattern is going to cover every possible scenario.  And I agree that we shouldn't be dogmatically telling people that one practice is always good and another is always bad.

But in my experience, writing code to do the same task in two different places (in two different languages) is going to lead to headaches.  So when supporting non-JS clients is required, I'm very skeptical of using an approach where the non-JS fallback is basically developing a separate tool to do the same job.

This might lead to using different approaches for different parts of an app.  Maybe the search and browse functionality uses server-generated HTML for maximum compatibility and robot support.  But the tagging and editor functionality uses a more RIA approach to improve experience and efficiency, at the cost of having to either exclude non-JS clients or implement separate tools for them.

-Esme
--
Esme Cowles <[log in to unmask]>

"I don't need to be forgiven." -- The Who, Baba O'Reilly