I would build it in Drupal, or possible Islandora, which is a Drupal
and DSpace package.

I got started with Drupal, lo those many years ago (six, actually)
when I was building out a DSpace server and realized that I could not
get it looking very user-freindly on its own. I did my own mashup, and
it worked.

Cary

--
Cary Gordon