The other issue that the 'modelling' brings (IMO) is that the model influences use - or better the other way round, the intended use and/or audience should influence the model. This raises questions for me about the value of a 'neutral' model - which is what I perceive libraries as aiming for - treating users as a homogenous mass with needs that will be met by a single approach. Obviously there are resource implications to developing multiple models for different uses/audiences, and once again I'd argue that an advantage of the linked data approach is that it allows for the effort to be distributed amongst the relevant communities.

To be provocative - has the time come for us to abandon the idea that 'libraries' act as one where cataloguing is concerned, and our metadata serves the same purpose in all contexts? (I can't decide if I'm serious about this or not!)

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com