So this was what "pandering a vote" meant all along? And I guess you are supposed to know this to count as a c4l community member? Unwritten rules indeed...

~Bohyun

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jonathan Rochkind
Sent: Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Unwritten Rules, formerly Pandering for votes for code4lib sessions

I'm still not even sure why people think the blog post violated any unwritten rules or expectations. I agree that people kind of unreasonably raked the author over the coals here.

I think _maybe_ under some interpretations it's borderline (some of those interpretations are those of the READERS of the blog and how they respond, which the author has limited control over), and DO think a splash page on voting with a few sentences on expectations for who votes, why, and how, would be a very good thing for us to have _in general_, so this is useful for bringing up that idea (nice idea rsinger).

But as a thought experiment, let's say I jrochkind had a proposal, and posted to my blog "Hey, if you're thinking about going to the conf, consider voting to help make the conf! If you're voting, please consider my proposal, here's why I think it's important."

Would you consider that inappropriate too? If not, please elucidate the differences, and we'll be that much closer to understanding/developing consensual community expectations here.

Right now, I think some things some of you all think are obvious are far from obvious to others, even others you assume it would be obvious to.