On Dec 14, 2011, at 9:54 AM, Karen Coyle wrote:

> Thanks, Dave and Mark -- this is exactly what I needed to hear. The "folks" are one of those extremely poor non-profits with almost no staff and zero technical skills. A consulting company is pushing them in this direction saying that Drupal is buggy and WordPress is ... well, I don't know. Dang! I hate being in the middle of this. I still think they'd be better off going with one of the "known" CMS packages.

If you want to do the 'subtle' thing --

Recommend that they look at the support communities for each project.

The larger the community, the more likely things are going to be patched and fixed, even if there have been problems in the past.
The friendlier and more helpful the community, the less likely they're going to be at the mercy of the group selling them the product.

And yes, there have been problems with Drupal and WordPress -- and so for that reason, they're better off going with a hosted solution, so that the patches are done automatically for them, rather than their having to worry about every time a new exploit comes out.  (and I'm guessing they're not big enough to be concerned about people specifically trying to hack stuff in their domain for street cred like we have to around here, nor do they have security show up seize their machine and/or block them at the firewall when they suspect there's been an 'incident')

It might be that CodeIgniter lets them make more custom applications than a generic CMS ... but if they're just looking to get information out there, and this website isn't part of their competitive advantage over other similar groups, generic CMSes are fine.

-Joe