Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I know this would be this list to ask.

Sounds like Ubuntu is the overwhelming favorite. In the past when I've used a linux in a non-server computer, there are always some annoying problems... things like the laptop not waking from sleep mode, power consumption problems, or the microphone not working.

So, I wondering about specific laptop brands/models and linux distributions/versions that people have found to work really well. A Dell or ThinkPad with Ubuntu seems to be the popular choice?

But, yeah, I know i started it, but I'm going to avoid going deeper into my opinions on Apple vs. Windows vs. Linux and the implications vis-à-vis productivity, copyright, social justice, and the plight of the polar bear. If only out of concern that introducing this discussion might cause the poor mail server at ND to meltdown…..

b,chris.