Hi, Karen, my own experience with Drupal is, you need to keep it updated.
For anyone building with Drupal, I hear tell [1] the best practice these
days is to use DRUSH (Drupal Shell) to provision and deploy your site...
Keeps upgrades nice and smooth.

Also, my experience has been, for small projects, Wordpress makes a very
nice CMS, and is hugely popular as a CMS [2].

Two other alternatives for you to consider in the lightweight CMS category
are TextPattern [3] and SilverStripe [4]. But really, there are good
reasons Wordpress is winning this fight. See [2] for details.

[1] discerning readers will note the vagueness of this recommendation, it
comes secondhand from someone who maintains Drupal sites on something
other than RHEL5. Ubuntu Server, I believe. Long story short, DRUSH is
handy, if you can get it to run on your OS. http://www.drush.org/
[2]
http://wp.smashingmagazine.com/2011/11/29/wordpress-cms-crown-drupal-joomla
[3] http://textpattern.com/