I have ubuntu linux running as a dual boot on my Gateway Laptop.  It runs pretty nicely - I leave it run for days when I' m doing some Web testing and such.

Nic.

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mark Diggory
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Linux Laptop

If Apple is "evil", I'd look more towards hardware and its environmental manufacturing impact rather than software/OS/culture.

Everyone puts up a good face:

http://www.apple.com/environment/
http://www.lenovo.com/social_responsibility/us/en/index.html

But recent news is a bit alarming...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/oct/04/apple-chinese-pollution-concerns
http://valuestream2009.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/chinese-ngo-claims-apples-supply-chain-sustainability-is-rotten-to-the-core-will-consumers-agree/

Apparently it is difficult to capture statistics on the full supply chain. However, if your interested you can pickup the first "Carbon Neutral Footprint" laptop from ASUS

*http://tinyurl.com/d6lb76g*

Mark

--
[image: @mire Inc.]