After reading the many responses to your question I just have to add to
points to all that's been said:
.- Regarding the hardware, I'm lately devoted to Dell, and (at least a few
months ago) they have some models with Ubuntu you can buy (there are less
configuration options, but you can get sure the hardware will work fine
with Ubuntu). Take a look at their web.
.- Regarding the Linux distros, besides Ubuntu (I also think it's a good
option, but I'd suggest their LTS versions to be even less worried about
tweaking) and Linux Mint (pushing very hard to be the best Linux Distro),
I would suggest Debian, always Debian. Maybe you'll need to tweak a little
bit (only in the cases MJ Ray told in his mail), but you'll get
bulletproof ultra-stability. In fact, it's my main option, the Linux I
have in the machine I don't want any problems with.

Regards.

--
..:: Iván V.G. ::..