Mark-

One option which works on any Linux/Unix machine (including OSX) is rsync with the --link-dest option.  This does the same thing as Time Machine: it creates backups that hardlink to existing copies of files (if they exist) saving disk space on unchanged files.  There are lots of instructions for how to do this, e.g. http://blog.interlinked.org/tutorials/rsync_time_machine.html

This doesn't provide the same UI as Time Machine for restoring files, though.

-Esme
--
Esme Cowles <[log in to unmask]>

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the
 argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt, 1783