FWIW, I'd like to see a hosting proposal one of these years that
suggests tweaking the formula, either by opening it up the way folks
have mentioned in this thread or by completely blowing up the format
(unconference + hackfest kind of thing). That's the only way I see
this changing.

Btw, now's the perfect time to work these sorts of ideas into a
hosting proposal for code4lib 2013.

-Mike