One of the founding concepts of the conference had been "no
spectators". That is, everyone has an opportunity to participate and
is encouraged to do so. I'm not saying we need to limit the conference
to 80 seats or so, but I think we should at least mark the passing of
this concept with some regret. The more C4L becomes like every other
conference the less it is the kind of unique event it was created to
be.

But perhaps the group has grown to the point where only regional
events can have that flavor, and the annual conference becomes
something qualitatively different, which in some ways it already has.
It would be good if we went into this with our eyes wide open, and
with some forethought, rather than stumbling into it by default. That
is, if we can't handle a participatory conference of 300 and above,
how can we re-envision participation? Can we offer some virtual venues
for participation? I don't have answers at this point, just questions.
But it seems clear that we've hit the point where something has to
give.
Roy