My honest opinion is that we should get closer to this model. I think
that even 250 is larger than optimum.

For a couple years, I ran DrupalCon, which in five years grew from
just over 30 folks to a North American event with about 3,000 and a
European event with almost 1,800. Originally, DrupalCon had a lot more
in common with Code4Lib. It has one track and focused on making the
software better. Now, that aspect of DrupalCon, while collocated, is
almost a separate event. The price of admission to that event is a
talk proposal, and while perhaps obviously, not everyone speaks, it
does set a boundary.

It might be tough to find folks to serve as gatekeepers, but maybe we
should at least require a "why you should let me go to Code4Lib"
statement or proposal. The gatekeepers could read these and figure out
how to get a mix of folks who would make the best conference. The
downside would be hurt feelings, and the only way to mitigate that
would be to have very clear procedures, even if names and hats were
part of it.

Cary

--
Cary Gordon