FWIW, I wrote a proof of concept for this when there was discussion
about it on perl4lib:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/MARC-Utils-MARC2MARC_in_JSON/

It also includes code for iterating over a multi-record file based on
my ideas here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Baxter.brad/Drafts/JSON_Document_Streaming_Proposal

The caveat here is that my ideas came from a misunderstanding of what
Ross meant by "advertise" in the following sentence.  I think he was
really referring to content type headers.

"It’s hard to justify newline delimited JSON until there is some
standardized way to advertise it."

So, again, FWIW.

Regards,

Brad