> And I want to update 'Drawing' to be 'Cooking'  w/ a jQuery hover effect
> on the client side then I need to make an Ajax request, correct?

What you probably want to do here, Nate, is simply output the PHP variable in your HTML response, like this:

  <h1 id="foo"><?php echo $searchterm ?></h1>

And then in your JavaScript code, you can manipulate the text through the DOM like this:

  $('#foo').html('Cooking');

--Dave

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager