On 6 December 2011, at 9:46 AM, Roy Tennant wrote:

> I once got a "cease and desist" letter from a legal firm defending someone's trademark for "metadata". I mean, seriously. Perhaps obviously, I ignored it. It's still in my files somewhere.

We had a variation in Ontario back in the 90s when a businessmen working with libraries heard the phrase "virtual library" pass my lips in conversation.  Next thing I knew, he thought he had trademarked it.

I try never to use the phrase these days, and he left the library market.

I can't begin to recall which of you I heard it from first.

Walter Lewis
Halton Hills