> You had earlier asked the question whether to do things client or server
> side - well in this example, the correct answer is to do it client-side.
> (Yours is a read-only application, where none of the advantages of
> server-side processing applies.)

One thing to take into consideration when weighing the advantages of server-side vs. client-side processing, is whether the web app is likely to be used on mobile devices.  Douglas Crockford, speaking about the fact that JavaScript has become the de fact universal runtime, cautions: "Which I think puts even more pressure on getting JavaScript to go fast. Particularly as we're now going into mobile. Moore's Law doesn't apply to batteries. So how much time we're wasting interpreting stuff really matters there. The cycles count."[1]  Personally, I don't know enough to know how significant the impact would be.  However, I understand Douglas Crockford knows a little something about JavaScript and JSON.

-- Michael

[1] Quoted in "Coders at Work" by Peter Seibel,  pg. 100

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington
# 817-272-5326 office
# 817-688-1926 mobile