> It's certainly true that limited energy motivates the need to minimize
> client processing, but the conclusion that this then means server
> generation of static HTML is not clear.

I'm not sure anyone was drawing that conclusion. It was offered up as factor to consider.

> Current trends certainly go in the opposite direction, look at jQuery
> Mobile.

I agree that jQuery Mobile is very popular now.  However, that in no way negates the caution.  One could consider it as a "tragedy of the commons" in which a user's iPhone battery is the shared resource.  Why should I as a developer (rationally consulting my own self-interest) conserve battery power that doesn't belong to me, just so some other developer's app can use that resource?  I'm just playing the devil's advocate here. ;-)

-- Michael

[1]	A dilemma arising from the situation in which multiple
	individuals, acting independently and rationally consulting
	their own self-interest, will ultimately deplete a shared
	limited resource, even when it is clear that it is not in
	anyone's long-term interest for this to happen.

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons