I have mixed feelings on the idea of requiring a minimum weight in the
voting process. Vote pandering is definitely a real issue, but I think
imposing strictures on the voting process goes a little bit against
something fundamental about Code4Lib's anarcho-democratic underpinnings. I
think one of the values of the weighted approval voting is that there's the
flexibility to use the weightings to vote with a particular agenda -- in
this case we happen not to care for the agenda, but one could imagine many
agenda-ized voting approaches that are totally aboveboard.

I don't know if ecorrado's suggestion of moving the presentation voting
before registration would be a true fix, but it might smooth out the
process a little bit. On the other hand, it might just shift the vote
pandering from one group of people to another.

Here's another idea: maybe we can set a deadline for new Code4Lib accounts,
after which newly created accounts are not eligible for voting. This
deadline could be some time after proposals are due but before voting
opens. This might help stop a flood of new ballotstuffing accounts and help
to mitigate this sort of problem.

-dre.