On Dec 9, 2011, at 9:05 PM, Lars Aronsson wrote:

> in particular I didn't like these steps:
>    5. Shut down tomcat.
>    6. Do an incremental re-index (2) to include the new document.
>    7. Start up tomcat.
I'm not sure why this step is in the tutorial -- XTF does not normally require for tomcat to be shutdown/restarted for a indexing.  (There is a tutorial version of XTF that comes with a bundled tomcat; maybe there is something with the way that tomcat is configured that makes this step required?)

> If I built this website today and not in 1994,
> http://runeberg.org/irescan/0014.html

> [...] which open source framework would I use? Greenstone?
> XTF? DSpace? Mediawiki? Django? WordPress?
> ... To be clear: I need a platform where regular users, logged
> in or not, can upload new books through a web interface.
> Does that leave me with anything else than Mediawiki?

Is that your most important requirement?

Are you expecting to just install something without doing a lot of development, or looking to have the most fun hacking?

What format is the book in?  PDF?  Individual pages images?  Some ebook format?  Something downloaded from internet archive?

The Open Monograph Press from the Public Knowledge Project might be something to look at when it comes out, but it maybe is focused on editorial workflows than you would need?
http://pkp.sfu.ca/omp

Django is nice if you want to use an SQL database and and ORM.  Flask (a python microframework) also looks interesting.

I would not give up on text files and generation scripts.  Check out this presentation from the last code4lib about using http://tinytree.info/ to run a lot of command line tools to generate static HTML.

http://www.slideshare.net/MrDys/lets-get-small-a-microservices-approach-to-library-websites
http://www.indiana.edu/~video/stream/launchflash.html?format=MP4&folder=vic&filename=C4L2011_session_3b_20110209.mp4