At Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:54:09 -0800,
Chris Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. I know this would be this list to ask.
>
> Sounds like Ubuntu is the overwhelming favorite. In the past when
> I've used a linux in a non-server computer, there are always some
> annoying problems... things like the laptop not waking from sleep
> mode, power consumption problems, or the microphone not working.
>
> So, I wondering about specific laptop brands/models and linux
> distributions/versions that people have found to work really well. A
> Dell or ThinkPad with Ubuntu seems to be the popular choice?
>
> But, yeah, I know i started it, but I'm going to avoid going deeper
> into my opinions on Apple vs. Windows vs. Linux and the implications
> vis-à-vis productivity, copyright, social justice, and the plight of
> the polar bear. If only out of concern that introducing this
> discussion might cause the poor mail server at ND to meltdown…..

For what its worth, I run Ubuntu happily on my old (2007) macbook. The
only real tricky part is the lack of 2 pointer buttons. So you don’t
need to get rid of the mac to switch off OS X.

That said, I would not buy a mac again, if only because Apple has gone
into full-bore evil mode.

Finally, in my biased experience, a system running Ubuntu is now more
usable than a system running OS X. This is my experience, and I am not
going to argue about it. :) I imagine it works even better if you buy
a system that is certified or pre-installed. And if you are interested
in a netbook, although Ubuntu has discontinued the Ubuntu Netbook
Edition, I think the Unity interface is pretty slick on a small
netbook screen.

best, Erik