I think the strength of adopting RDF is that it doesn't tie us to a single vocab/schema. That isn't to say it isn't desirable for us to establish common approaches, but that we need to think slightly differently about how this is done - more application profiles than 'one true schema'.

This is why RDA worries me - because it (seems to?) suggest that we define a schema that stands alone from everything else and that is used by the library community. I'd prefer to see the library community adopting the best of what already exists and then enhancing where the existing ontologies are lacking. If we are going to have a (web of) linked data, then re-use of ontologies and IDs is needed. For example in the work I did at the Open University in the UK we ended up only a single property from a specific library ontology (the draft ISBD http://metadataregistry.org/schemaprop/show/id/1957.html "has place of publication, production, distribution").

I think it is interesting that many of the MARC->RDF mappings so far have adopting many of the same ontologies (although no doubt partly because there is a 'follow the leader' element to this - or at least there was for me when looking at the transformation at the Open University)

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com