On Jan 2, 2012 4:02 PM, "Emily Lynema" <[log in to unmask]> said:

> Obviously, to build our new interface on top of the NCIP toolkit, we need
> to generate NCIP XML requests and parse NCIP XML responses. These things
> are a bit gnarly to work with, and I'm not sure that PHP is exactly known
> for excellence in working with XML.

No need to preemptively hate on PHP. The XMLWriter module has been part of
core PHP for ages and should be perfectly serviceable, at least based on
the sample NCIP XML messages I've perused. It's a simple wrapper around
libxml2 and it worked well for my needs in generating MARCXML in File_MARC.
Similarly, for working with incoming XML both SimpleXML and XMLReader are
part of PHP core; SimpleXML offers a pretty friendly API and it's what I
used to read MARCXML in File_XML.