The other approach is to use a phone with bluetooth, if you have/know
someone who has a bluetooth scanner. I haven't tried this myself, but
noticed yesterday when my phone was on, that it offered to pair with a
scanner. If you have something like Thinkfree Office or even a text
document, it should scan into it.

I'm going to give it a go today, and will report how I get on...

Tom