You might want to take a look at VuFind's XCNCIP2 driver here:

https://vufind.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vufind/trunk/web/Drivers/XCNCIP2.php

This constructs requests in a crude way (simple string concatenation) but parses responses using SimpleXML.  SimpleXML is pretty user-friendly, but XML namespaces make it a little more complicated, and this code demonstrates namespaces in action.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

- Demian