On Jan 3, 2012, at 8:24 PM, Kevin S. Clarke wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 7:08 PM, David Friggens <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Shifting times would be good. The registration opened at 5am here,
>> though I probably would have gotten up for it had I known it was going
>> to go so quickly. (Did you have to pay when you registered? If so, I
>> don't think I could have convinced the holder of an institutional
>> credit card to get up with me though.)
>>
>> I'll also +1 the suggestion for limiting attendees per organisation if
>> the overall number is going to be kept small.
>
> I think the thing that would move these ideas along is for someone to
> write the registration system that we're talking about (or find one
> that does what we want that we could repurpose).  In my humble
> opinion, ideas that require more manual work on the part of the
> host(s) are less likely to happen; but, if there was a system that
> would do what we want (and handle the crush of registration), I think
> the community would happily jump behind it -- registration has always
> been an issue.
>
> So, that said, I'll take one step backword and let someone else step
> forward (by standing still) to volunteer to write it... as they say,
> "running code wins."

For what its worth, a service like Eventbrite can do this for the host organization.  See step 3 of http://www.eventbrite.com/t/how-to-create-ticket-types that talks about setting up start-sales and end-sales date/time arrangements for classes of tickets.  One can even set up a wait list (http://www.eventbrite.com/t/how-to-set-up-a-waitlist).  The fees (http://www.eventbrite.com/fees/) are somewhat high, but perhaps not too bad considering how much of the process they automate.

Peter
--
Peter Murray
Assistant Director, Technology Services Development

1438 West Peachtree Street NW
Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30309
Toll Free: 800.999.8558
Fax: 404.892.7879
www.lyrasis.org

LYRASIS: Great Libraries. Strong Communities. Innovative Answers.