Mark and all --

I saw that you retracted your message last week to the code4lib list, but I wanted to take the opportunity to explain how LYRASIS got where it is in supporting technology for libraries as a way to see how we're headed.  The three packages we host now -- Evergreen, DSpace and Drupal -- were selected as part of some "market research" done with LYRASIS members in 2010.  Based on the recommendation of the consultants hired with funding from a Mellon planning grant, the LYRASIS board voted to move forward with these and we've been scaling up capabilities ever sense.

There has been a start of discussions now, both internally at LYRASIS and with the LYRASIS Technology Services Advisory Board, on deciding how our members want us to go from here.  There is a lot of good open source code out there, and we're trying to figure out how best to support members (of all types and sizes) that want to use it.

If anyone wants to chat with me further about this, feel free to drop me a line and we'll arrange a time at Midwinter, Code4Lib or online.

Peter
--
Peter Murray
Assistant Director, Technology Services Development

1438 West Peachtree Street NW
Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30309
Toll Free: 800.999.8558
Fax: 404.892.7879
www.lyrasis.org

LYRASIS: Great Libraries. Strong Communities. Innovative Answers.