Hi Nathan,

Can you tell us:
- what kind of content you'll be ingesting (images, text, a/v)
- how much of it do you expect you'll have (1TB, 100 TB, more?)
- what kind of access will you need to provide (world-wide or just local?)
- do you want off-site backups in one or more locations
- what systems, if any, do you currently have in place
- what software are you considering for the repository

Hardware options are going to vary a lot depending on what your requirements are.  There are lots and lots of options but you can find something that will fit you needs.

...adam

Adam Wead | Systems and Digital Collections Librarian
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME + MUSEUM
Library and Archives
2809 Woodland Avenue | Cleveland, Ohio 44115-3216
216-515-1960 | FAX 216-515-1964
Email: [log in to unmask]
Follow us: rockhall.com | Membership | e-news | e-store | Facebook | Twitter

On Jan 24, 2012, at 12:21 PM, Nathan Tallman wrote:

> My institution is going to be purchasing a preservation server sometime
> within the next year. I'd like to solicit advice on specs. I know this is
> highly dependent on our collection, but I'm looking for some baseline
> hardware recommendations. We'll be using it to store preservation-copies of
> electronic files that belong to archival collections. Most of our
> electronic files are not born-digital, but we are preparing for an influx
> of born-digital records.
>
> Any advice is appreciated! Apologies for cross-posting.
>
> Thanks,
> Nathan Tallman
> American Jewish Archives

[http://donations.rockhall.com/Logo_WWR.gif]<http://rockhall.com/exhibits/women-who-rock/>
This communication is a confidential and proprietary business communication. It is intended solely for the use of the designated recipient(s). If this communication is received in error, please contact the sender and delete this communication.

'