The Wayne State University Library System seeks an energetic, service-oriented and self-directed individual to serve as Systems Librarian on our talented team of professionals. If your skills match those we've listed and you have a passion for innovative resources and services we encourage you to apply.

JOB DESCRIPTION:
Wayne State University runs the Millennium integrated library system from Innovative Interfaces. Our collection includes over 2.6 million bibliographic records from the Purdy/Kresge Library, Science Library, Undergraduate Library, Medical Library, Law Library, and the Pharmacy Library. We run the standard Millennium modules plus Electronic Resources Management, Millennium Media, Research Pro (federated searching), Metadata module (for DC and EAD records), and Webbridge. We import MARC records from Serials Solutions and a number of publisher sources, and create load profiles to configure record loading parameters. WSU is a full OCLC member, and participates in resource sharing through OCLC (Illiad), Docline, and RAPID. In addition to the classic Millennium WebPac, we use the Encore Discovery platform for public catalog searching, and we participate in the MelCat INNReach consortium. Our primary vendors include SWETS and Yankee Book Peddler for serials and monographic orders.

Reporting to the Associate Director for Discovery Services, the Systems Librarian will be responsible for coordinating and managing the Millennium integrated library system (ILS) and collaborating with acquisitions, cataloging, access services, reference, and other appropriate WSU Library teams to provide direction and support for configuration, development, and management of the ILS and associated systems; Assessing and troubleshooting system problems and serving as the primary technical contact for Innovative Interfaces and the MelCat InnReach system; Creating or collaborating with other team members to develop interfaces with external systems as needed, including Banner, publisher interfaces, OCLC, RAPID, Illiad, Serials Solutions; Assisting in the investigation and implementation of emerging technologies; Generating reports and providing collection and system statistics where appropriate, and assisting unit managers with ILS-derived statistics as needed. The successful candidate will maintain membership in Innovative Users Group (IUG), and serve on appropriate library system teams to support collection management activities.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Master's degree in Library and Information Science from an A.L.A. accredited program college or university, and 3-5 years' experience in the administration and support of integrated library systems, applications and technologies; candidate must have administrator-level knowledge and experience with an Integrated Library System; excellent customer service skills, interpersonal skills, and oral and written communications skills; candidate must demonstrate ability to work well both independently and collaboratively with team members, students and faculty, and the ability to adapt well to change; knowledge of MARC record formats and MARC bibliographic and serials formats; familiarity with standard Unix protocols including ftp, telnet, ssh, Z39.50; a strong commitment to responsive service and a desire to master new technologies; and knowledge of AACR2, RDA, EAD, Dublin core and other related metadata formats and schemas.

PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:

Millennium systems experience; Experience with Apache web servers in general, and experience creating and managing Millennium webpac production and staging environments; Millennium Load Profile Training and Advanced Systems Administration; Experience with scripting languages such as PERL, PHP or Bash within a LAMP Environment; Understanding of relational databases and a working knowledge of SQL; Working knowledge of information exchange standards including SUSHI, COUNTER, and UNICODE character encoding standards; 3-5 years' experience working with an Innovative system in an ARL Library; Experience with OCLC Illiad, and OCLC Resource sharing, WorldCat Local, and the OCLC Local Holdings Record formats; Ability to create and customize Millennium print templates (IReports), and manage Millennium notices that incorporate print templates for formatting; Knowledge of the Millennium Webbridge Link resolver; Knowledge of the Research Pro; and experience with the Encore discovery platform.

For information on how to apply please see:
https://jobs.wayne.edu/

-Paul

Paul Gallagher, MLIS
Associate Director