For a client-side solution, you can use the Google Maps or OpenLayers libraries with an alternate tileset.  Here are a few examples:

http://clintlalonde.net/2009/01/09/zoom-and-pan-large-images-with-google-map-interface/
http://blog.mikecouturier.com/2011/07/create-zoomable-images-using-google.html
http://forevermore.net/articles/photo-zoom/

If you're already using Zoomify, then you might be interested in this example of using OpenLayers with Zoomify tilesets:

http://plone.itc.nl/OpenLayers/examples/zoomify.html

-Esme
--
Esme Cowles <[log in to unmask]>

"There is always an easy solution to every human problem -- neat, plausible,
 and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken