Hi Emily,

part of the XC project is a NCIP client application writen in PHP as two
Drupal modules. It is writen partly as classes. It doesn't implement all of
the NCIP verbs, but can be a good starting point. The current stable
version supports NCIP v. 1.0, and now we are working on NCIP2 (we are on
testing phase). You can find the source at http://drupal.org/project/xc. I
don't want to go into technical details here, but if you would like more
guidance and tips, I would be happy to help you.

Best!
Péter

--
Péter Király