***Apologies for cross-posting***

We are seeking a Ruby/XML/PBCore savvy person for a 12-week American Archive position at WGBH in Boston.

Please apply online at http://www.wgbh.org/about/employmentOpportunities.cfm

Associate Developer – Requisition # P-0736

Department Overview:
The American Archive Content Inventory Project is an historic effort to locate, identify and inventory public media materials nationwide, so that we can prepare a pathway for the preservation of the rich cultural history of public television and radio into the digital age.

Position Overview:
Help WGBH preserve the history of public broadcasting in a digital age by processing and organizing data collected from Radio and TV stations from across the country. We are looking for an associate developer with a passion for public media, and an interest in writing code for managing data. We use Ruby and similar scripting languages to ingest program inventories into a Ruby on Rails application based on the Blacklight discovery platform. There are a lot of records (1 million and counting!) and the data comes from over 100 stations, so efficiency and flexibility are key skills. As part of a cross-functional team, the Associate Developer will:
• map incoming data to existing PBCore schema
• write scripts to normalize and standardize data formats
• maintain our Ruby on Rails app for searching and viewing data records
• write scripts to validate data and report on progress.

Come and exchange ideas with a smart and passionate team that produces one-third of PBS content and creates innovative public media. WGBH is centrally located in a bright, sunny building that includes open floor plans, with its own parking garage, cafeteria (the food is actually good!), health club access, and more.

Responsible for maintaining a working environment that leverages the potential and diversity of the department's entire staff. Provide direction and leadership in such a way as to nurture, create and maintain an environment that is (1) free from discrimination, intolerance and harassment and (2) provides employees with equal access to opportunities for growth and advancement including professional development whenever possible.

Skills Required:
To perform the required duties, the Associate Web Developer must possess the skills and qualities required to complete a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, and more than 1 year of work experience solving problems for web-based environments. The Associate Web Developer must be able to demonstrate familiarity with data manipulation and scripting tools including XML, Ruby and csv files. Experience with Solr or related technology is desirable. Experience working with virtual servers (Amazon AWS and/or VMWare) is a plus. WGBH Interactive is a Macintosh shop that creates web sites for users on many platforms and browsers. Candidates should be prepared to share and discuss code samples.

Educational Requirements:
Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience

Sincerely,
Courtney Michael

Courtney Michael
Project Manager