< Forwarding on behalf of the OR Steering Committee. - Tom >

Open Repositories 2012 – “Open Services for Open Content: Local In/Global Out”

This year’s Open Repositories conference takes place in Edinburgh, Scotland between July 9th 2012 and July 13th. We’re now inviting you to consider what you can contribute to the conference programme.

Repositories are established in many ways as systems, as services, and as infrastructure for many types of content in an increasingly varied range of institutions. They now demonstrate how action on a local scale can have global consequences – for the institutions hosting repositories, for those who deposit content in them, and for society as a whole. Some actions, however, are only effective when coordinated at national, domain or global scale. Understanding the change repositories can bring about, the changes they themselves need to undergo, and the areas in which local action is sufficient are key themes of this year’s conference. We’re interested in hearing about:

Augmented content – and mediation and ownership of augmentation
Delivery of non-traditional content
Embedded repository service components
Shared and collaborative repository infrastructure and services
Open services that feed, support and consume repository services and content, such as identification services
Enabling content re-use
Long-term preservation in and of repositories and their content
Lessons learned about the difficulties of creating global services from local roots
and any other topic that you think is relevant to our major themes.

The aim of the Open Repositories Conference is to bring those responsible for the development, implementation and management of digital repositories together with stakeholders to address theoretical, practical, and strategic issues: across the entire lifecycle of information, from the creation and management of digital content, to enabling use, re-use, and interconnection of information, and ensuring long-term preservation and archiving. The current economic climate dictates that repositories operate across administrative and disciplinary boundaries and to interact with distributed computational services and social communities.

Submissions can take the form of abstracts, posters, demos and workshops – more details are given below. We will consider any submission that seems to us sufficiently original and repository-related to merit attention at this event, but we’ll give preference to submissions that address our primary theme.

The programme will also include the developer challenge and space for sessions in the spirit of Edinburgh’s successful ‘Repository Fringe’ (http://repositoryfringe.org) event. Further details of these segments of the programme will be announced nearer the time; they will include substantial aspects of the un-conference – an event whose format is controlled by its attendees.

Submission process

Conference papers
We welcome two- to four-page proposals for presentations or panels that deal with organizational, theoretical, practical, or administrative issues of digital repositories and repository services that are not specific to a particular technical platform. Abstracts of accepted papers will be made available through the conference’s web site, and later they and associated materials will be made available in a repository intended for current and future OR content. Relevant papers unsuccessful in the main track will automatically be considered for inclusion, as appropriate as a User Group presentation.

User Group Presentations
Two- to four-page proposals for presentations or panels that focus on use of one of the major repository platforms (EPrints, DSpace and Fedora) are invited from developers, researchers, repository managers, administrators and practitioners describing novel experiences or developments in the construction and use of repositories involving issues specific to these technical platforms.

Posters and demos
We invite developers, researchers, repository managers, administrators and practitioners to submit one-page proposals for posters and demonstrations. Posters provide an opportunity to present work that isn’t appropriate for a paper; you’ll have the chance to do a 60-second pitch for your poster or demo during a plenary session at the conference.

Workshops and Tutorials
Workshops will take place before and after the conference; they will require proposals and can be closely or loosely attached to the conference. Closely attached workshops will have registration & venues arranged by OR2012 organisers; loosely attached workshops are the responsibility of the organizers, but OR2012 will co-promote them if they are accepted.

PLEASE submit your paper, poster, demo or workshop proposal through the conference system. The conference system will be linked from the conference web site (http://or2012.ed.ac.uk/) and will be available for submissions in January 2012.

Key dates and contacts

2012-02-20 Deadline for papers, workshops & user group sessions
2012-03-31 Deadline for posters and demos
2012-04-06 Workshop/paper submitters notified
2012-05-11 Poster/demo submitters notified
2012-07-09 Conference pre-workshops begin

Get these dates in your diary, and start thinking now about what your contribution will be and the change you want to make. We look forward to welcoming you to Edinburgh in July.

Kevin Ashley
On behalf of the programme committee & the local organising committee of OR2012