Great thread!

At WFU we used reserved AWS instances which lowered our overall costs
but committed us to the amazon platform for a year.  We also wound up
grouping most of our services on a large server (~$87 per month after
reservation fee) so that we could take advantage of all of that
capacity.

Our infrastructure included 3 servers and about 500 GB of storage
(Large production server with 90% of library services, 1 small server
for High density storage system, 1 small server for
puppet/monitoring/documentation).  The reservation fees for these
servers were around $1380 per year and we paid approximately $275
total per month for computing costs and disk space. Data transfer and
other costs were minimal and are included in the $275.  A rough yearly
cost for these services comes to $4680.  A bit more than we were
looking at for physical server costs (3 servers for $4000 each with 3
years paid support) but these costs meant that we had a lot more
flexibility than we would have had with three servers sitting in our
campus IT datacenter (without root access).  As a side note, we found
that storage space was more expensive than CPU time and wound up
keeping our multi-TB storage array on site instead of in the cloud.

If I was re-building this today I would explore some other options -
RackSpace (Cheaper CPU time), RightScale (Automated server
configuration/deployment), Heroku/Google Apps Engine (free PaaS
levels) and focus on getting at least a more robust infrastructure at
the same cost (if not with some savings).  Rackspace for example
offers their smallest server at $.015 per hour without reservation
fees and RightScale offers a free support level that could work well
for small/medium sized libraries.

FWIW, when I was pulling together numbers for this email I noticed
that Amazon has changed their reservation fees and pricing model.
Depending on which reservation fee I selected I either saved about
$600 per year or spent $300 more per year using the same
infrastructure discussed above (http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/pricing/).
If you are really interested in cost calculations and ROI, some
helpful resources include Yan Han's recent work in ITAL comparing
real-world cloud computing costs -
http://ejournals.bc.edu/ojs/index.php/ital/article/view/1871/1709 and
Chapter 3 of George Reese's book "Cloud Computing Architectures" in
which he explores some approaches to calculating ROI for cloud
services.

Erik

Erik Mitchell
Assistant Professor