We have similar results to Sean with our Vufind instance for the same
reasons (interlinking, stable urls, etc.). Additionally Vufind has a
sitemap generator [1] which spits out sitemap.org sitemaps for all the
record pages and some predefined static pages. Submitting the sitemaps to
the various webmaster tool sites of Google, Yahoo, Bing again bears out
what Sean said. Bing and Yahoo don't index much, whereas Google webmaster
tools shows that practically 100% of urls are in the index. We also have
about 60% + hits from Google.

The schema.org approach is interesting & very doable when working with
something customisable like Vufind, Blacklight etc

Eoghan

[1] http://vufind.org/wiki/search_engine_optimization