On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 5:25 AM, Owen Stephens <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 26 Feb 2012, at 14:42, Godmar Back wrote:
>
> > May I ask a side question and make a side observation regarding the
> > harvesting of full text of the object to which a OAI-PMH record refers?
> >
> > In general, is the idea to use the <dc:source>/text() element, treat it
> as
> > a URL, and then expect to find the object there (provided that there was
> > suitable <dc:type> and <dc:format> element)?
> >
> I think dc:identifier is usually used to provide a URL for the item being
> described. The examples at
> http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html#dublincorefollow this, and the UK E-Thesis schema (
> http://naca.central.cranfield.ac.uk/ethos-oai/2.0/oai-uketd.xml) does as
> well.

Thanks. FWIW, the <identifier> contains the same URL as the <source> field
in my example; but your interpretation of the <identifier> matches that
found in the OAI-PMH spec at
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html#UniqueIdentifier
where it also points out that it may not necessarily be a URL, could be any
URN or even a DOI as long as it relates the metadata to the underlying item.

> This issue is certainly not unique to VT - we've come across this as part
> of our project.

I note that this means that providing the service point URL for the ETD
OAI-PMH server is not sufficient to facilitate full-text
harvesting/indexing by a provider such as Summon. (And sure enough, they've
indexed only the metadata.) They would have to/will have to employ
additional effort.

Re: your points about the right to full-text index.

If indeed you're right that full-text indexing is a fair use (is it? Eric
Hellmann seems to indicate so:
http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/2010/02/copyright-safe-full-text-indexing-of.html
as
long as the technical definition of making a copy is met.) - if that's
indeed so, then of course the intentions of the author don't matter, at
least in the US legal system.  Otherwise, my point would have been that I'd
like to see the signed ETD agreement forms extended to explicitly include
the author's permission for full-text indexing.

 - Godmar