The Massachusetts Historical Society had to deal with the "flap" issue
when presenting Thomas Jefferson's "Notes on the State of Virginia".
Jefferson had inserted blocks of text into the manuscript by gluing a
flap at the point of insertion.  Some of the flaps have text on both
sides, others on one side only.

Here's an example of how this is presented in the document view:
    http://masshist.org/thomasjeffersonpapers/notes/nsvviewer.php?page=5

I'm not certain about this particular document, but most of the other
documents in the collection were marked up using TEI.

Keith