I have had several theoretical changes of opinion on this question, and
have come to the considered opinion that there is no principled *essential*
difference between Metadata and Data. It all depends on the
context/theory/background assumptions to which the data is being applied.

The property of Data being meta is entirely use sensitive. The property of
being information may depend upon the existence of metadata referring to
the data.

For example, it is labeling of an antelope in a zoo as "an antelope" that
turns an ungulate into a document; data measured from this beast gives us
evidence about what "an antelope" is like.
The label & number of the beast, as well as the date of capture and other
provenance, are clearly metadata in this case, and provide the context for
interpreting the data as information, and for assessing the degree of
justification we have for treating this information as knowledge. However,
in other cases, the metadata may serve as data for other studies, with no
reference to our four legged friend.
Suppose we are doing a study on the rate of differently labeled specimen
acquisition in zoos across Europe over the course of the 19th and 20th
centuries. In this situation, what was metadata has become our primary
data; *our* metadata relates to the provenance of the descriptions.

Metadata embedded by a smart sensor package included in the same persuade
as the data gathered as part of an observation run is essential to the
interpretation of that data as information. However, it is not the primary
data itself; it is the context. Radar data from early JSTARS platforms was
severely downgraded by rain between the platform and the ground; the
information provided needs context about climate conditions in order to
determine the actual amount of information obtained when fusing that
information with other sensor systems. However, the climate readings are
not part of the radar data itself.

So, to sum up, it depends; Further Research Is Needed; one man's Meta is
another man's Poisson.

Simon