A while ago we had a big debate/argument about whether it makes sense to
return partial HTML snippets from "ajax" (or really, um, "ajah", in this
case?) requests from javascript; or whether instead modern apps should
all move toward "javascript MVC" models with most logic in the js layer;
or something in between; or maybe it depends on the app, heh.

Anyway, I ran accross (on reddit I think) this interseting blog post by
the developers of the ruby "Basecamp" app, explaining how they use
partial HTML returns to js, and avoid "javascript MVC" except in areas
where the UI really requires it; and in particular how they then have to
pay a lot of attention to server-side caching to get the very snappy
performance they want.

Some may find it interesting.

http://37signals.com/svn/posts/3112-how-basecamp-next-got-to-be-so-damn-fast-without-using-much-client-side-ui