From: "Andreas Orphanides" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:51 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] CODE4LIB Digest - 12 Feb 2012 to 13 Feb 2012
(#2012-42)

> a redesign of the touchscreen is in the pipeline, and one of our primary
goals is to make it more consistent with other
> experiences that we offer (especially the mobile website)

Mobile & kiosk seem like a good match within the overall library IA. Either
will emphasize a subset of the whole package that's relevant in the
specific user context, and I can well see the mobile user approaching the
kiosk upon entering the library, so continuity there makes a lot of sense.

> in the portion of the article you quote, I was really trying to say that
the interface for the touchscreen was intended not to betray
> the fact that it was really just a web browser running on an
off-the-shelf computer.

Sorry if I misrepresented that. I did get what you were saying, and I had
almost the opposite thought -- that if users recognized the kiosk as
showing a subset of the website specifically, it might build their overall
mental model. I have no research to cite on that, but it's always
interesting how the overall information package gets presented via the
various options available and what priorities shape those decisions. A
kiosk would be especially challenging to fit into an overall program,
because it performs such a specific set of services -- topical notices,
promotion, wayfinding, etc.